Thursday, October 9, 2008

Time Travel

We cross the International Dateline on our way Down Under. The time warp really hurts my brain. We crossed the International Dateline when we flew to Seoul to accompany Christopher home from his mission. That didn't seem like such a big deal to me. (Probably because I was too excited to obsess about it.) But this time it boggles my mind, even though I basically understand the mechanics of it. We are, after all, leaving our hemisphere and heading into the southern one.

(Random thought: Will it be weird to look up and see different constellations than I am used to seeing, or will they just look like stars?)

We leave Sunday morning, October 19th. We fly from Salt Lake City, landing in Los Angeles at 11:30am where we wait...and wait...and wait...and wait. Until 9pm! (Using SkyMiles is not always convenient.) The only ones who have a longer wait than we do is Grandma and Dada. They arrive at something like 7am and go out about the same time we do! EEEK.

Once we board our Qantas flight, we will hopefully sleep. While we are sleeping, somehow, even though only about thirteen hours pass, when we arrive in Auckland, it will be Tuesday morning! Where does Monday go and how do we lose it? Sure, I get it back on the way home, flying on the longest Sunday ever. We arrive in Los Angeles BEFORE we leave Sydney! Explain that to me. Am I transported? My molecules all broken up, sent across the universe, and then reassembled again--two hours before I left???? Scotty, beam me up!


Minds immeasurably superior to mine will have to explain this to me. Please use small words and lots of pictures. Thank you.

2 comments:

Tamila said...

The southern stars are TOTALLY different. You will notice the difference. I've only ever seen them in a planitarium, but just ask Matt. I'm sure he'll expound if you ask him to.

Michelle Heuer said...

Wow!! Sounds like you will be busy! Yeah...i can't explain all that stuff to you...I just smile and nod, though it's kinda fun to just pretend you have superpowers like teleportation :)