Saturday, October 25, 2008

Day (I can’t remember)

Have you ever been physically desperate to go to sleep? That’s how I’ve been the last few days. I could barely stay awake long enough to get ready for bed, let alone write anything! Jet lag is TERRIBLE.

Our tour was AMAZING. There are not enough words in the English language (or Maori either) to describe the countryside and the things we saw. I think we took about a thousand photos. Every corner (no exaggeration) we turned was another incredible sight.

We arrived at the ship yesterday (Friday our time, Thursday in Utah) about 5:30pm. We were on the ship by 6pm. Very smooth check in. Our luggage made it to our stateroom before we did! (A first.)

Today has been a sea day. We’re going so slowly, the ship can’t use the stabilizers so it’s been a rockin’ and a rollin’. Thankfully, going so slowly means I’m not seasick (which is more than I can say about what happened on our cruise around the Bay of Islands on Wednesday).

We spent hours circling a volcano. Seriously. This is the first time Holland America has done a sea day today instead of just heading right to our first port (Tauranga). They decided to give us a day to ‘adjust’ to the time change instead of having the day in port. So it’s not too far from Auckland which is why we’re going so slowly. And why we spent four hours circling the White Islands. (Google them.)

The ship is listing quite far to port so the shower has become a bathtub because the drain is uphill. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

At the show tonight, Aunt Brigitte and I were the only ones awake! Can’t take those other Heuers anywhere.

Now it’s off to bed. I think I’ve turned the corner on jet lag so hopefully I’ll be able to post more tomorrow night. Another full day of touring tomorrow.

4 comments:

JimO said...

I'm pondering which I'd rate more important: baggage or shower. Hmmm...

I'm glad you're having a smoother day, Robin. I remember that you and I are at opposite ends of the motion sickness spectrum, so I'll be hoping for smooth sailing for y'all.

WE WANT PICS! WE WANT PICS!!

Tami said...

I think I'm a little seasick just reading your post...

I hope that you'll sleep well and get your body adjusted to the new time soon. There's nothing more miserable than being dead on your feet and not having it be time for bed.

Can't wait to see the thousand pictures you took!!

Michelle Heuer said...

I'm actually surprised you were'nt the only one awake...usually mom falls asleep too lol.

Sounds like y'all are having fun, wish I was on a boat right now. Don't get too sick!!

Tamila said...

I'm telling you, the sleeping thing is genetic. Me and the three little boys in church today, all asleep. It was bad. But at least we were there right? And on time too.